Showing Homes
One of the things I most looked forward to when I became a Realtor was that I'd have the opportunity to see inside lots of people's homes. It's a position of privilege to get these glimpses.
Probably the two hardest things for me are dealing with lockboxes (I sense a pattern here) and giving feedback to the seller's agent. Meaningful feedback requires me to press my buyers about what they liked and what they didn't. And even though they know the seller will never connect any criticisms with them personally, most buyers prefer to just say, "It's not for me."
(The lockboxes are an entirely different matter. Sometimes I've been given the wrong code, but more often than not, it just takes several tries and a bit of fumbling with cold fingers to get them open.)
Buyers tend to be incredibly polite and respectful of the homes they are seeing. In fact, the worst thing I've had a client say, after the third house in row with the same color laundry room, "What is it with yellow laundry rooms?" This has been a pleasure to see. It's good to know that the times I've sold my own property, chances are most the people who saw it were respectful of my space and grateful for the opportunity to see if it was the house for them.
Challenges do happen though. A crated dog barking so loud I can't hear myself think becomes the growling hound of hell as I try to hand him the treat which is supposed to keep him quiet, and as I finally just drop it in between the bars, I'm calling over my shoulder to my client, "It's OK! He's crated." Cats that hover closely as we approach the door to leave, keenly aware of the note that says, "Do Not Let Cat Out." Odors. When there is the strong smell of cigarette smoke or pets, most clients can't imagine themselves living in that space. Even if they are smokers or pet owners themselves. Neutral air might be even more important than a room cleared of personal mementoes.
And then there was the foreclosed property with an agent note of "Be careful of hole in hallway." I expected a small hole. Not a rotted through floorboard hidden under carpet. That could've been an adventure in real estate!
The biggest surprise for me is how important an atmosphere of "home" is to buyers. And what says home to one buyer won't say home to another. This is the matchmaking factor. And when it happens, when a person falls in love with their future home, it's magic. And just like love, it's unique for each buyer. Sometimes I can't see what the buyer sees, but I can see their reaction. Their eyes light up. They talk about where to put their furniture. And sometimes they roam around outside slowly, inspecting the view from different vantages.
It doesn't always happen. Sometimes you just need a place to live, and you find one that works. You'll probably fall in love with it eventually. But the spark when someone finds the perfect place, either the place they've dreamed of or something they never even realized they wanted, that's a thrill for the Realtor, too.
Note: All photos are from my newest listing at 651 W Depot Street in Perrysville, Indiana.
No comments:
Post a Comment